26 May 2013

Asian Gourmet - Adelaide, South Australia

New love: a classic eating spot in the Adelaide Central Market called Asian Gourmet. This place has been a family run, Adelaide institution for over 35 years. We were a bit late to the party, but now we're hooked.

Asian Gourmet

You can find Asian Gourmet inside the markets directly across from Camera House. They're open 6 days (closed Sundays) opening at 9:30 or 10:30am each day. Closing times vary from 3-5pm depending on the day and they stay open on Friday nights until 9pm. Seating is available both inside and outside the shop.

inside Asian Gourmet

The signature dish at Asian Gourmet is the Singapore Laksa ($9.50). The lime green bowl looks quite small, but it comes packed full of goodness - prawns, fried tofu, shredded chicken, bean sprouts, coconut cream, egg noodles and more. It's bigger than it looks and sure to satisfy. I haven't found a better laksa anywhere else in Adelaide. Beware though that the standard amount of chili is on the hot side so some may wish to ask for mild.

Singapore Laksa ($9.50)

It's hard to go past the Singapore Laksa but everything else I've tried so far has been excellent as well. The Fried Seafood Hokkien Mee ($9.50) is full of seafood, in a slightly sweet sauce with a lemon wedge. Delicious!

Fried Seafood Hokkien Mee ($9.50)

Another one of my favourites is Fried Mee Hoon ($9.90). This comes with sliced pork, prawns, fried egg, bean sprouts and thin rice noodles. Again, the default amount of chili is on the hot side so keep this in mind when ordering.

Fried Mee Hoon

We're very fortunate to have the Lo family cooking great value Malaysian favourites for us in the Adelaide Central Markets. We've become regular customers at Asian Gourmet and have even fallen in love with laksa for breakfast!

Note: Cash Only.

Asian Gourmet on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Their Satay Chicken is my Friday night staple and it's Killer Bee. I'll miss out tonight as I'm going to dinner elsewhere. I'm sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I will have to try the Satay Chicken sometime...thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their laksa is not bad at all and it's just the right level of hotness for me, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not one for spice, but I love Asian food! I suppose I'll pull out the tummy meds from the storage and brave it, head down to Adelaide South and give the little eatery a go. Might be able to make a convert of me yet!

    ReplyDelete